From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jun 2008 01:04:30 -0600
hi bill:
there are some great dual band magnetic mount antennas around for really
reasonable prices.  Like anything else in amateur radio, you can spend lots
on one, but you can get something quite adequit for around 20 bucks.
MFJ, hustler, cushcraft i believe, tram, larsen, and a few others all have
various dual band maggy mounts from quarter wave, up to 5/8's wave.
If your going to use it say on the top of your fridge, or a filing cabinet
or something like that, a quarter wave will be your best bet.  It has a
lower angle of radiation and even though it doesn't have the higher level of
gain that a 5/8's wave has, it'll work pretty much just as well with an ht
inside a building.
If you have the ability to mount an antenna outside, get a gutter mount or
facia mount and get a 5/8's wave, or even a small bass antenna.
If you are in an apartment and can put stuff on the balcony, you can mount a
5/8's wave dual band antenna on the railing and get even better coverage.
Remember, with any bass mounted antenna, that is, an antenna not used on a
car, you should have a good ground plain of at least 19 inches in three
directions from the bass to get the most out of the antenna on 2Metres..
There are also after market antennas made for HT's that will improve your
signal on 2 metres and 70CM as well.

73
Colin, V A6BKX