From:
"Karen H. Shirley" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen H. Shirley
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2008 13:09:28 -0700

Overall, folks seemed to indicate that the majority of sunscreens on the market are gluten free.    I also got a few comments that it shouldn't matter if it has gluten in it because the sunscreen is topical and the gluten will not get into the digestive system/be harmful.  I generally agree with this but since our daughter sucks her thumb and is otherwise young enough to not understand that sunscreen isn't for licking off, we try to err on the safe side!

Several people commented that the "natural" - non man-made chemical sunscreens - have gluten or oats in them since they are designed in part to moisturize.  So to be careful if choosing one of those.

One person told me that all sunscreen are dangerous, especially for children and sent the following link: www.skinbiology.com/toxicsunscreens.html

I checked out this site and while some of the information does appear to be accurate, some of it is also very misleading and it is a commercial site.

Actual brand names sent to me included:
Blue Lizard
California Baby ("natural" sunscreen with no oats or gluten)
No Ad
Neutrogenia Sensitive Skin
Copper Tone
Water Babies
Banana Boat

I was also sent a helpful list from Clinque that someone obtained in 2005 that contains grain deprived ingredients by name.   If anyone would like a copy please email me.

Thanks.

Karen Shirley
Colorado

*******