Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 May 2008 17:47:14 -0400

Thanks to everyone who gave me helpful advice.  I have broken down the answers I received into the general categories in which they came.
Richard Paul

==================================
I TOOK AUGMENTIN AND I DIDN'T HAVE A REACTION

I have taken it many times and never had any symptoms until after the 1st week -- because it had killed the good bacteria.  I always react to gluten within 12 hrs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I TOOK AUGMENTIN AND I DID HAVE A REACTION

I took it last month for bronchitis.  I had diarrhea for a couple of days, then it went away.  It didn't make me nauseous or cause me any other gluten type problems that I get when I accidentally get some gluten.
--------------------------------
I took it for 30 days. Some stomach burning,  few other symptoms.
-------------------------------
My son who is celiac and my daughter who is not both had digestive issues with augmentin.  It is very hard on the digestive system.
------------------------------
I have a terrible time with Augmentin, and have to keep imodium tabs in my pocket when taking it.  But that does not mean you will have trouble.  Augmentin sounds like  very rational choice for the problem you are having.
------------------------------
Augmentin is on the gf meds list, but it causes severe intestinal discomfort--diarrhea and a flu-like feeling. My g-daughter gets severe diaper rash if she takes it.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HERE'S AN ALTERNATIVE ANTIBIOTIC TO TAKE
my doctor always prescribes biaxin, it is g/f and l/f
BE CAREFUL OF TAKING ANTIBIOTICS
Antibiotics should only be given in proven infections-- most importantly, when the organism causing illness is susceptible to the particular drug being given. Hopefully your doctor knows this but it sounds iffy from your email. I would never prescribe an antibiotic without knowing that it was appropriate for the organism I was trying to eradicate.

THE SIDE EFFECTS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH GLUTEN
The side effects you describe are common for most antibiotics. The drug is killing off your intestinal flora and I believe this is what causes the nausea, diarrhea, etc. Doesn't have anything to do with gluten. People without gluten intolerance regularly have the same side effects from antibiotics.  Taking the drug at the beginning of meals does help reduce the side effects somewhat.
The side effect of diarrhea is not from gluten but from the action of the antibiotic in the body. An antibiotic does not distinquish between benefical bacteria and bad bacteria so the beneficial ones are killed off too, sometimes resulting in the side effect of diarrhea.
Augmentin is GF. The warning about gastro side effects has nothing to do with whether there might be gluten present in the drug (after all, people without celiac don't get gastro reactions from eating gluten). Instead, the side effect is tied to the fact that Augmentin is a strong antibiotic that can wipe out the "Good" bacteria in your gut - along with the "bed" bacteria causing your infection.