From:
Russ Poffenberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 May 2009 07:54:15 -0700
Hi Will,

I am surprised that your XP CD can't find the SATA drive. Unless it is
setup through a RAID manager at BIOS setup time, most SATA controllers I
have seen behave just like a standard IDE controller, at least for the
purposes of installation. If it is indeed so different that it requires
a device driver, then a slipstreamed SP3 disk is not likely to help, you
need an OEM disk with the disk driver for the controller.

In this case, you do not need to create a new XP disk for this, during
the XP home CD bootup, you should be given the opportunity to hit F6 (or
similar) to load special disk drivers from an OEM CD or floppy. You
would have to visit the Dell site to see if they offer an OEM CD for the
disk controller.

Russ Poffenberger

Will Stephenson wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I've been tearing my hair out over this one. I am trying to repair a Dell
> laptop that has XP sp3 on it. Because the owner sent it to me from Florida
> (I live in Maine), I did not get the Install CD. So I cleverly thought to
> use a copy of Windows XP Home that I have to do a repair. Since the Dell
> laptop has a SATA hard drive, the older XP CD can't find it. So, since I've
> read many times about slipstreaming service packs, I decided to try it.
> After many attempts to do it right, I have a folder on my hard drive with
> the updated XP sp3 all ready to roll!
>
> My problem, I think, is that I can't make a bootable CD that starts XP setup
> from boot time. I have tried including the Microsoft corporation.img file
> from the XP original cd as the image file (from the Paul Thurrott's Super
> site (http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp) and
> just get a Code 4 error(?) when using the cd to boot the laptop. I turned
> the slipstream folder into an .iso file and burned it to a cd - No operating
> system found.
>
> I have been doing the "bootable" burn with Roxio Creator DE, which I am
> thinking might be my problem. Nero has been suggested by the above mentioned
> site, but I don't wish to buy it and Nero always seems to invade my
> computers too deeply. Am I being too paranoid?
>
> Does anyone have any ideas, or programs that would burn this CD correctly?
> Thank you for your time and thought on this.
>
> Best, Will
>
> Will Stephenson
> Acadia Technologies Inc
> mailto:[log in to unmask]
>
> "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -- Aldous Huxley
>
>                The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering
>                  our special coffee mugs and mouse pads
>               with the PCBUILD logo...  at a great price!!!
>              http://freepctech.com/goodies/promotions.shtml

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml