From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 12:36:33 -0600
well, most people who work satelites are using, at the minimum, a multi
element beam for both the UHF and VHF sides.
The way the amateur satelites work, is that the receivers on the satelite
will receive on one band, say UHF, and the transmitter will transmit on
another, say VHF.
You can buy dual band beams anywhere from 3 elements and up.  These are
usually sold as satelite antennas.  Cushcraft sells several different models
relatively inexpensively.
Typically, the satelites transmitters, and the band you have to receive on
your radio is in the 432 to 438MHZ range, either on FM or SSB or CW or one
of the digital modes.
The satelite receives, and where you have to set your transmitter  is
usually in the 145 to 146MHZ range.  Some satelites flip these around.
There are several good FM satelites, so you don't have to worry about
getting a VHF/UHF SSB capable rig if you don't have one...though it might be
a great reason to buy the ts2000 if you don't already have it.
The beam must be rotatable so that you can follow the satelites path across
your sky.
there are several programs that will help you determine when the satelite
will be in range for you, and how long it will last, and the angle it will
be crossing at.  You can get this info   from the amsat.org website:
HTTP://www.amsat.org
and click on path predictions and enter either your grid square or lat and
long position.
You can work satelites with a hand held, or vertical antenna, but your
maximum usable time is extremely limited due to the horizon and sheer
distance.
Also, vertical antennas tend to have a sharp angle of radiation and you need
a pretty low angle to work most satelites.
A directional beam antenna usually has a low, 25/28 degree radiation angle.
anyway, hope that answers your questions?
another note is that most of the satlite tracking programs also have the
capability to control certain roters and position your antenna acording to
the path of the satelite within range.
73
Colin, V A6BKX