From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Sep 2009 11:57:25 -0400
Wow. I just got my vitamin D level tested, and it was only 19 ng/ml
(47.5 nmol/L?). That's below even the minimum level to prevent
rickets, and way below the levels needed to prevent cancer,
osteoporosis, depression, heart disease, chronic pain & fatigue,
hypertension, influenza, and more. And that's for a white guy at the
end of summer, after a week at the beach in a bathing suit without
much sunscreen (just a few critical areas--did get a tan line), and
one who eats a "paleo" diet with a fair amount of Alaskan salmon and
eggs and meat. As a white guy who's not afraid of the sun and spends
some time outdoors, I thought I would be storing up D for the winter.
But they say you don't store it until your levels are above 50. The
old "fifteen minutes a day on your face and hands" is a recipe for
dangerous loss of health. Working against my D levels, as I see it,
are my latitude (44N), cool climate (Vermont), thick ozone layer and
industrial pollution in the Northeast, age (51), and amount of time
spent indoors and in cars.

We are really evolved, or calibrated, for a life spent outdoors all
day, every day, without lots of clothing, except when it's cold. I
don't see any way to get healthy levels of D without supplements. The
amounts of D I see in foods don't seem adequate, and certainly didn't
work for me. Unless you eat a true, traditional Inuit diet (which is
why they can be healthy with a somewhat dark skin tone at such a high
latitude).

Vitamin D is probably by far the most important supplement you could
take, and most people these days are dangerously deficient. Probably
even people on this list who think they're not at risk. I thought I
wasn't, until I finally got the test.

I'm urging family and friends to get their D levels tested, or to
start taking 10,000 i.u. per day. It has to be D3, or cholecalciferol.
I bought a bottle of D pills of a good dose for my kids, and didn't
notice until I had opened it that it was ergocalciferol. Had to throw
it out. If you get that much D from cod liver oil, that may give you
too much A, which competes with D and can cause bone loss.

Here are two fascinating videos on vitamin D and micro-Darwinian
carcinogenesis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GM0CnO6-ds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PsyaYNX1dw
And there's a lot of good information on dosages, toxicity issues, and
cheap(ish) home testing, at www.vitamindcouncil.org

Hilary