From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 20:55:23 -0700

> > the drug companies spend a lot of money promoting their
> product, while
> > dietary therapies don't generate much revenue and hence, promoting
> > them is not likely a good investment.
>
> Hi Ron
>
> This is always the root cause.  Something you can pay for
> always pushes out something that is free.  We have a
> mentality that illness is a lack of medication, not an excess
> of poison.  As long as that lie is maintained to the public,
> the pharmaceuticals are going to get richer and richer.  It's
> just one of the things that sucks about the modern world...

We also have a tendency to think that we have to pay for it if it is
any good, and the more we pay the better it is.

> > small amounts stale toast, cooked fruit, and considerable
> alcohol. All
> > of these foods will cause insulin production - which stops ketosis.
>
> This is something I should read more about.  I know that
> ketones are produced constantly anyway, even when carbs are
> in (some) supply.  So it'd be interested to see what a effect
> "normal" paleo diet has on epilepsy.

You might be interested in Gary Taubes' book, Good Calories, Bad Calories.
It is, in my opinion, excellent!

> > (Carbohydrates
> > can also eliminate the condition but then ketosis is lost.)
>
> You may be right.  It still amazes me how few medical people
> understand rabbit starvation.

> time. In
> > both instances I have experienced a sense of being a social outcast.
>
> Why was this?
Mostly because I was eating mostly meat and there were few social functions
where I could eat so I had to either bring my own or forego eating. Either
Way I felt like I was on the outside looking in.

> > I also experienced improved breathing, improved exercise tolerance,
> > loss of a few unwanted pounds, more energy, and a wonderful
> sense of
> > well-being. Early in the process, I did experience some
> constipation,
> > low energy, and hunger. I found that these symptoms soon
> disappeared
> > (after 3 or 4 days). I never experienced vomiting.
>
> Sounds like something that would be worth following occasionally?
> Maybe every April for example, when sweet and starchy foods
> are hard to get (in northern Europe anyway).
That makes good sense to me. I'm thinking about another stint of ketosis
just
Because of how well I feel on it.

> > I suspect that most members of this listserv would choose a dietary
> > treatment if they developed epilepsy.
>
> Or many other things.

Yes. Alternatives to drugs.... Although I do take drugs for my lungs.

 I've spoken to people who have eaten
> paleo while suffering from cancer, I think maybe on here but
> definitely on the paleolithicdiet Yahoo group I started (and
> have since left).  But I haven't heard many details about the
> effect it had on the disease.

Deep ketosis seems to halt reproduction of cancer cells in most types of
cancer.

> At a guess I'd say it would be far less likely that someone
> would develop epilepsy if they were eating paleo, although it
> puzzles me why a ketogenic diet wouldn't cure it completely.

I don't understand epilepsy well enough to hazard a guess as to why it
Works, so it may just stop feeding the problem with carbs.

> (That said, "ketogenic"
> does not necessarily mean there was no bad stuff in what they
> were eating in this study.)
True.

> I am still
> > surprised by the number of people who tell me how awful it
> must be to
> > follow a gluten-free diet. (I don't usually tell them that I avoid
> > dairy products
> > too.) While I suspect that they might not find it all that awful if
> > they tried it, they find the prospect of a gluten-free diet
> horrific.
>
> Addiction and dependency I think.  I've experienced the same
> thing, despite the fact everyone likes the look of the food I
> eat.  The idea of not eating bread is far worse for them than
> the actual not eating bread.

I suspect you are right.

Best Wishes,
Ron