From:
T Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 17:22:48 -0400
Hi, Folks.

Well, today, with some sighted assistance, I was able to get the VGS1 voice
chip installed in my second TMV71A.

However, I guess I wasn't quite as lucky as Gary and some others out there
who have tried it without a hitch.

I had two problems, and I'm pointing them out for anyone who tries it in the
future:

1.  We had a problem with the rectangular foam pad that is supposed to go
over the top of the chip.  The problem was that the smooth backing on the
pad did not remove easily at all, and, in the end, the adhesive part of the
pad came off of the pad itself.  We managed to get it back on well enough to
secure the pad to the top of the voice chip, and the fact that the radio
cover keeps it in place should help secure the chip even further.  But, it
was a bit tricky to get that pad to co-operate just right.

and, here's the problem I'm a bit more concerned about:

2.  My helper, when putting the eight screws back on the radio cover to
complete the installation process said that one of the screws didn't seem to
thread properly, and now, when I try to get the screw out, it appears that
the Philips head is worn off.  I can get the seven other screws out, but not
the eighth one.  If anyone has suggestions as to how I might get that eighth
and final screw out of there, I'll remove it and then look for a
replacement.  I'm not planning to take the cover off the radio again, unless
absolutely necessary, but I'd at least like to have that capability.

So, in short, the VGS1 install went well, but not without complications,
even with sighted assistance.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ