From:
Gretchen Lawler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gretchen Lawler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:12:58 -0400

THE MAIN COURSE:
Most people said the Pig roast and BBQ Ribs, or Chicken. Here are the sauces
they suggested:

1. we make our own but I think Kraft is GF), cover the grills with foil in case
any gluten-containing stuff has been there previously.
2. Cattlemen BBQ sauce--not the honey one because it is not GF-- we use
the original and it is great
3. I would recommend a delicious b-b-q sauce, Sweet Baby Ray's.It is from
Chicago but is sold at our supermarket chain Ralphs, in Southern California. I
would bet it would be pretty easy to find. My son has Celiac, and this is the
only sauce I use, the whole family loves it.

A FEW OTHER GREAT IDEAS!!:
• the Kinnickinnik tapioca buns are good (although a bit pricey for a large
gathering.

• I think I would avoid the burgers and hot dogs because of the buns.  How
about just a simple meat entree, like chicken, pork tenderloin, beef kabobs,
chicken kabobs, brisket.  You can also do a marinated flank steak, using all GF
ingredients for your marinade.
• You can buy the country style porks which run on sale for 1.99 per pound
(sometimes even less), and simmer them on the stove ahead of time till tender
about 45 min to 1 hour--you still want them to stay on the bone so they can
be grilled.  Then just grill them at the park with Cattlemen BBQ sauce--not the
honey one because it is not GF-- we use the original and it is great.  You are
really just heating them up at that point.

• grilled salmon

• Instead of hot dogs and hamburgers, how about kielbasa or Italian sausage?
• Easy to grill and not too expensive.

• fish, some steak, and/or maybe some kebabs? kebabs should be pretty easy
to assemble and no one expects a bun with them, so they won't think they're
missing something or trying something weird.

• I've found the only brand of gf pasta that can be eaten cold (or at room
temp) is from Ancient Harvest, the macaronni noddles that are a blend of
quinoa and corn. Rice pasta is NOT edible in a cold pasta salad.

• How about franks & beans?  Or chili?

• We love to cook corn right on the grill. We keep it right in the husk.Soak
corn in water for about 1 hour then right on the hot  grill just keep turning till
cook maybe 10 to 15 minutes.So easy and it comes out delicious. Have fun
and happy birthday!

• You could put hotdogs on sticks and let people roast them themselves over
an open pit (with marshmallows!).

• Chicken wings are fairly inexpensive and bbq well...

• Try lamp or beef skewers with veggies intermingled.

• chalupa (beans and pulled pork with seasonings that is put over fritos or
regular corn chips and topped with sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, cheese,
salsa, etc.

• If you have outlets to plug in crock pots, you can fill your crock pots with
pork roasts and make carnitas.  I have a good recipe I use often.  Fill
shredded meat with cheese and shredded lettuce into corn tortillas.

• How about kabobs with meat/poultry/italian sausage and veggies grilled
together.  That is easy.

• We always smoke chickens (whole and cut in 1/2) on our grill over mesquite
or hickory wood. We season it with a GF seasoning called
• Pappy's- can find @ Costco. No other condiments necessary. Can do potato
and green salads on side.

• At my parents 50th, we had a pig roast. They did corn on the cob for us,
baked beans, and had put chicken inside of the pig to roast.  It was wonderful

• Corn Muffins yesterday using Whole Food's 365 GF Corn Muffin Mix - they
were really excellent.

• mix frozen corn (it will thaw) with canned (drained) black beans and add
gluten free salsa to taste.  This would be easy to make for a crowd and
wouldn't involve any chopping.

Here's some ideas for sides:
salsa & corn chips
watermelon
corn on the cob
GF brownies for dessert.  OR- homemade ice cream!
jello salads
layered taco dip with GF corn chips
sweet potatoes,
green beans,
baked taters  and yams..roll them in foil, throw them in the coals.
baked potatoes with toppings
rice
bean salad,
sliced tomatoes & sliced fresh mozzarella & basil,
relish plate,
cheeses.
Cocktail meatballs made w/gf bread crumbs, covered in grape jelly & chili
sauce (recipe in Betty Crocker cookbooks-old ones, maybe not in the newest
one)They are very yummy
chips and dip.
Make angel food cakes or have ice cream for desserts.
spanish rice dish
rice casserole
"calico" beans,
shrimp cocktail (for smaller parties)
little smokies in a grape jelly and chili sauce (1 jar each) sauce. You can also
put meat balls in this sauce and they disappear pretty quickly.
nuts
popcorn
chocolate
potato salads
gluten free pasta salad,
gluten free baked beans,
corn on the cob,
grilled veggies,
green salad,
cole slaw,
GF corn bread,
deviled eggs
Copper pennies (marinated carrot salad)
a salad made from canned chick peas and/or black beans
mac and cheese, using Trader Joe's rice pasta.
Watermelon is always good.

Desserts:
• If you feel like baking a bunch of wonderful g-f cookies that taste
totally "real" google "flourless, butterless chocolate cookie" and follow the
recipe.  These are the best cookies I've ever had!

If you want to make cake or cupcakes, I really like the kinikinick chocolate
cake mix.  I've ordered it by the case through Amazon.com and it's delicious

• Flourless butterless chocolate cookies:
http://www.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/food_200306_cookies.jhtml

*******
*******