From:
Debra Berke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 2008 11:19:21 EST

<<I have a sugar cookie recipe that calls  for potato starch, garbanzo and
fava flours. Of course, I don't have any of  these in the house but have others
(e.g., teff, quinoa, buckwheat, potato flour,  brown and white rice flour).
Could any of these be substituted for the potato  starch, garbanzo and fava
flours?>>
Thanks to those who responded!
My wife uses tapioca flour in the pound  cakes she makes for me and it makes
a better cake than wheat  flour.
I use the brown rice and potato starch  flours, plus some tapioca flour mixed
in.
If you use all cornstarch you do no use gums  (xanthan or guar). I use all
cornstarch.
I always substitute whatever flours I have  on hand with no problems. Cookies
are especially easy to  substitute.
I am making cookies right now with just corn  starch. I know when I use corn
starch that I have to use two tablespoons more  than if I was using the rice
flour, tapioca flour and corn starch mix that I  usually use. I would use some
of the rice flour and some of at least one other  kind. Just before you roll
them out or drop them from a spoon you  should be able to tell if you have to
add a little more flour.
You can sub corn starch for potato starch/  the bean and fava I would
exchange the rice flours (brown is more nutritious,  and tapioca flour. Majority rice
flour, then tapioca starch flour, then potato  starch flour respectively
(meaning mostly rice, less tapioca, even less potato).  Sorghum flour fine too.
Sure, but each flour has its distinctive  qualities, and since sugar cookies
are delicate, I would suggest heavy on  the white rice and potato flour, and
quinoa should be fine too...less of  buckwheat and teff, which are much
stronger in flavor and  texture.

Deb, Newark,  DE
Gmail, and Yahoo Mail. Try it now.