From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2008 00:41:02 +1000
Tom wrote:
<<if I type  _Format C: /s_  will that save the system files>>

Yes. But I've never seen much point in saving system files if you are
reformatting to eliminate system faults, which is usually the case. You may
end up with the same the faults you're trying to fix.

I'd just do a full format. If changing the OS, say from Home to Pro,
reformat without the /s switch. Then you'll be sure you have a brand-new OS.

<<Vista, is it better than XP ?>>

Is black better than white? That depends how you define "better".

What is important is how you use your computer, and what your expectations
are. And whether your current computer is suitable for Vista.

To use Vista's aero display (ie the new-look "eye candy") you are advised
to have a minimum 2 Gb RAM. Or else suffer the consequences in reduced
performance.

You can turn all that off, in which case you are left basically with XP
with a lot of annoyances like User Access Control. That's good if you're a
raw beginner and need protection from all possible acts of folly, but a
nuisance if you wish to take control over what you install and what
settings you wish to make. You'll likely end up disabling it.

You might also find that a few older programs and hardware which ran on XP
won't operate so well or at all on Vista.

Vista will serve you better if you intend to get into home theatre or
networking, I believe.

 From the journals I've read, most people who have switched to Vista say
"It's OK, but.....". Some really dislike it and have switched back to
XP.  It does appear to have a few teething problems in some types of usage.
And a lot of people don't like Microsoft's tighter control of User
Activation. Most users seem to be rather underwhelmed.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml