From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:49:13 -0500
When you say that the computer "refuses to boot" do you mean that It will not load Windows or that it will not boot to where you can
not even get into the BIOS?  (If you can get to the BIOS, then, technically, the computer has "booted.")  Does something come up on
the monitor?

If you can't get to the BIOS, then you may have serious hardware problems, which will be difficult to track down unless you get a
beep code.

If you can get to the BIOS, then see if the hard disk is being recognized.  Also, is the DVD recognized?  If  they are not, then you
need to check to see if their jumpers are set correctly and, perhaps, replace the ribbon cables with different ones.  I use plural
here because it will be easier to troubleshoot if the hard drive and DVD are on different connectors.  You can get the proper jumper
settings from the web site of the hard drive's manufacturer.

Have you gone through and made sure that all the BIOS are set correctly?  (Do you know how to do this?)  It is possible that they
were reset to the default values, which might be inappropriate.  (I had a computer a few years ago that would not run with the
default BIOS settings!)

If the BIOS are set correctly and the hard drive and DVD are jumpered correctly, then you should be able to get the DVD to load and
run unless there is a hardware problem somewhere.

Let us know your progress...

Dean Kukral