C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 13:28:12 -0600
Is the issue what he'd do in case of an emergency?? A blind person might
actually have advantages in that case.  If it's because he can't get out in
case of a crash, what about those of us with mobility impairments?  My chair
will be in the belly of the plane, yet I fly by myself frequently.  I've
never been seriously challenged, although I have been asked if someone is
meeting me at the aiport.  Never by airline personnel, more often by other
passengers.  I wonder if this started when a fellow passenger saw "the poor
deaf and blind ma" all by himself. Often when I say I'm taking a cab, people
look like they're surprised about it.  Mag, when you fly, do you always go
with an attendant?  I figure if I'm confident enough with my skills as
someone with a disability to travel alone, how am I, or anyone else, in a
position to make that judgement for someone else?  Is there a Canadian ADAPT
group?  It seems to me that what Air Canada is trying to do flies in the
face of the Constitution Act of 1982

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/const/annex_e.html#mobility

*Equality Rights*
 *Equality before and under law and equal protection and benefit of law* *
15.*   (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the
right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without
discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race,
national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or *physical
disability*.

--

Kendall

depends on the unreasonable man.