C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2008 20:28:18 -0700
Hey gary, bro, can you help mary??

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.zazzle.com/TamarMag*
Tamar Mag Raine
www.cafepress.com/tamarmag
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

----- Original Message ----
From: Mary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, April 9, 2008 4:36:49 PM
Subject: low vision - assistive aid question

Hello,

just joined the list a couple days ago.

I have CP on my right hand side, hemiplegia.? it is mild enough that it doesn't tend to show up in neurologist exams, but it is definitely there.? walking and all of the ADLs are challenging and - I never had any therapy as a child so I'm learning it now - my control of my RHS is slowly improving.

Fear made it worse.? never having PT/OT - the pediatrician thought I didn't need it despite me being a preemie and walking late, etc. - I learned all the wrong habits.

most importantly, I learned to associate using my body with FEAR.? b/c blank space, empty space - it was an abyss.? it didn't look different, but I cannot navigate it well.? I get dizzy and seasick.? I feel much better when I hold on to walls and other surfaces.? when I make it to where I'm going, like I can lean over the sink, I start crying with relief.

which makes me think, this is all too hard.? I have vision difficulties - no depth perception - I am virtually blind in some ways.? I spend a lot of time in my room b/c the panic, vertigo, terror, and nausea is too great.

sometimes even going downstairs is too hard.

I am 39.? I was trying to work but have been on leave.

I am wondering.

I'm thinking about assistive equipment.

does anyone else have low vision?? and if so, what do you use?

I can balance so I think a wheelchair is not needed.? the problem is that I need something in front of me, like a walker or a cane.? I need to see and feel something touching solid ground.? then I am OK.

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

Mary Katherine