BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Becker, Dan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:21:17 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Gabriel Orgrease
Sent: Tue 11/11/2008 5:30 AM

> Becker, Dan wrote:
>> Our new convention center has the LED display to beat all: The Shimmer Wall.

> Neat... what is the reference to wind and blowers? Is the Shimmer
> Wall a kinetic light sculpture as well?

It is composed of 2" aluminum squares attached to a grid with a hinged connection at the top. When the wind blows, they flap, and the different reflections from the sky makes the wind rippling across the surface become visible. So in that way, it is a kinetic light sculpture.

It was not a windy evening when they had the grand lighting ceremony, so they had folks with leaf blowers behind the screen making the shimmer wall squares flap. It looked nothing like the wind. It looked stuupid.

Dan