From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 13:04:19 -0400
Howard,

I've been using the Cobra Ultralite Senior for almost three years, and like
it very much.  Mine plays very well on 80 and 40, and somewhat well on 20
and 17.  I've tried it on 10, and I know it works, but don't really know how
well as I haven't seen much 10-meter activity here in New England.  On 80,
where it seems to work best, people give me the same S-meter readings as I
give them, which I realize isn't necessarily a good indication of how things
are working.  On some of the other bands, I tend to hear better than people
hear me, which makes me suspect that maybe the antenna isn't working as well
as it should.

It's an easy antenna to put up, and I have mine strung between two trees,
about 20 feet off the ground.  It might work better if I could raise the
center up another 30 feet or so, but I haven't figured out a good way to
support the center.  Raising the center might also make it play better on
the higher frequencies, but I won't know unless and until I try it.  I'm
quite sure I could do better with a beam on a tower, but I have to say that
this antenna does quite well for a one-size-fits-all antenna.  Incidentally,
I haven't had to repair it even though we get some 50MPH winds during the
winter.

Steve