From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:07:04 -0400
The fiberglass insulator is on the top of the antenna's base.   When you
first installed the antenna and drove the base into the ground,   it was at
the very top of that base section.  Then you placed  the main part of the
antenna, the 26 foot tall part with all the coils and junk on it, right on
top of that fiberglass insulator.  Just going from memory, the fiberglass
part is 5 or 6 inches long.   When you slide the antenna onto the base, most
of it  is now unseen, as it is now inside the  antenna and supporting it.

When placed on top of the base, you line up the holes in the      very
bottom of the 26 foot antenna with the holes located in the middle of the
fiberglass insulator and run a screw through it.  This is the top screw and
to this you attach the center conductor of the coax.  Below this is the
second screw, which is in the base section, this is the ground  connection.
to this attach coax braid and ground wires.   Between these screws  you
should now only see perhaps 2 inches or so of the fiberglass insulator,
since most of it is up inside the antenna.  Also, between the 2 screws you
place the small matching coil.  The small coil perhaps 2 inches in diameter
and 4 inches long.   One end attached to the top screw and the other end
attached to the bottom screw.

If you don't have a small section of fiberglass insulator visible between
the base and the main part of the antenna, maybe 2 inches or so, then
something is wrong.  If the antenna is sitting all the way down on the
insulator and touching the metal of the base, it will never work in a
million years.

You can go to Home Depot or Auto Zone and buy ring terminals with the proper
size ring for the screw size.   Crimp several radial wires  together and
slide the ring onto the screw.

73, Steve KW3A