From:
Richard Fiorello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:10:10 -0500
Hi Jerry
As far as I know, radials will primarily help on transmit.  They keep most
of the transmitted signal from being absorbed into the earth.
Generally you will have more noise (static) on a vertical than a dipole.
As I understand things, changing the resonant frequency on one band of that
antenna will change the frequencies for other bands meaning that fixing 20
meters may have irritated problems on other bands.
As for radials, you are primarily looking for insolated wire anywhere from
16 to 30 feet long.  Butternut (bencher) sells a ground radial kit that is
very overpriced which is primarily 16 radials each 30 feet long.  Since the
antenna is ground mounted, the length isn't critical but if geography
requires significantly shorter wires then you should consider more of them.
Supposedly there is a screw near the base of the antenna to attach radials.
For general vertical info you might look at bencher's web site. There is a
fair amount of interesting stuff.
Richard