ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
email_2coco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:28:57 +0200
My late Tisha used to get those accidents when age caught up with her. I can
remember those anxious moments and trips to the vet. Putting her down was
the hardest thing, but the kindest to her. Yet if she could be young again
I'd take her back in a heartbeat.

Now I have Astrid and though she's clever she didn't take to being a guide
dog kindly. I had her 3 years and during those years she let me fall down
curbs, cross the road diagonally so I'd be on the wrong corner of the
intersection and just got me lost. The last time she made me trip over a
concrete block near a school entrance which blocked cars from parking there.
The shock was so big and the humiliation to fall with a guide dog while my
colleagues walked the same route behind me was even bigger. So an email was
sent to the training school and goodbye Astrid, good riddance!

And then came the quiet house, no dog appearing for mealtimes, the empty
dog-bed, and struggling to walk the route to work with a cane along a gravel
surface (where large stones, grass, pedestrians' debris and small shrubs
litter the area)! Lastly, most horrid of all being told the list is so long
and there's no suitable dog for me so I might have to wait as long as 9
months!

Astrid thought she' was off on holiday with a trainer and discovered: "this
is boot camp!" Astrid was bitten by 1 young trainee whose food bowl she
smelled and run over by another oversized male Lab! So, after almost 3
weeks' training she wanted to come home and I was too happy to try again.

To make the already long story short, I can say that that training spell
happened 11 months ago and though she has her weaker points, Astrid has been
more of a help to me.

Now everyone has been able to share in my guide dog woes and I can only add
that I'll pray for Jeremy's. God allowed his dog to retire and my Granny to
face this surgery. Don't know why, but will just have to trust He knows
best.

Coco