From:
"J.A.H." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J.A.H.
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2008 06:52:42 -0700

One of the dr's I know said you have to grind the seed very well with
 your
teeth, but better with grinder to benefit from the seed.  The grinding
releases the oils.  If swallowed whole it does not benefit you at all.
Have a great one,

my DOCTOR said this is from not getting  enough fiber in your diet.
I increased my fiber and i got o.k.

At one time I used the oil, but since we travel a lot, I switched to ground flaxseed.  The ground flaxseed blends in better with yogurt or cereal.  I have tried the seeds, but like the ground better.  T

If you don't grind the flax week they pass through intact....My sister-in-law recommended a coffee grinder by Hamilton Beech.  It has w/ a removeable grinding cup that can be run through the dishwasher.  Works great for flax seeds & whatever else needs grinding---Around there that would probably include red peppers rather than coffee beans!  Not a good idea if it can't be washed well.

I've put ground flax seeds in smoothies as it gives them some viscosity and add them too baked goods.

I also take Flax seed oil capsules as well as Omega 3 fish oil. I've been taking the flax oil for several years but have just increase my Omega 3 consumption if recent months.  Interestingly, during that time I've lost a noticeable amount in inflammation/fluid, especially in my legs & hands.

I tried to take flax seed (ground) and also flax oil (commercial
cold-processed), however, I became unwell on flax products.

Flax contains cyanide compounds that interfere with thyroid function.
Thyroid disorders are extremely common among celiacs (one study I read
last yr. suggested a 40% lifetime risk of thyroid disorder for
 celiacs),
so IMO/IME flax should be seriously considered in that light.

Some people struggle with diverticulitis (not nec. related to celiac,
but in addition to it) & for those people, oil is better than tiny
seeds, which are contraindicated in diverticulitis.

I now take (and have for many yrs.) Omega 3 fish oils,
I've done both.  I started out with the flax seed oil.  I would just
 drink a tablespoon each day.  My naturopath told me you got more out of
 the oil because think of how many seeds it takes to make the oil.  Now I
 grind the seeds and add that to my grits or cereal or bread for extra
 fiber.

I put 1/4 cup of flax seed meal in my bread when I make it.  I have no problem digesting it.

www.mercola.com says for inflammatory bowel disease that fish oil omega

3 is much better for you than flax.
Paula in Pa.

I use flax seed ground up in my cereal.........morning and night
every day.

I take one flax seed oil pill a day.

Bob's Red Mill sells bags of Flax Seed Meal.  I use it on my cereal and you can put some in bread when you bake it.  Add it as topping for baking dishes.  ou can think of other ways to use it.

for leaky gut syndrome take WITH EACH MEAL one probiotics complex...non

refrigerated...and one l-glutamine.  A gf diet alone can take 5 years
heal leaky gut but this does it in 3 months.  The probioitcs heal and
 the
gluatmine is a catalyst and makes it work more efficiently.  This was
suggested by my nutritonist who teaches on the graduate level

I have been taking 1 TBSPN of flaxseed oil every day for at least 10 years. I can't digest the seed even when it is meal. It keeps cholesterol levels low. I buy Vitamin Shoppe brand.

JAH
www.glutenfreeeugene.org