ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2008 13:38:05 -0700
I wrote this on another list some time ago and I may have posted it here,
too.  I ran across it today, red it, and thought it was apropos for this
year of election.

Phil.

     About three years ago, Jesus poured tons of concrete for my
son's home he had built in my backyard.  My lot is 225 feet by 75
feet, so we legally got the back half of my property detached
through city government, it took about a year, and I deeded the
lot over to my son.  The empty lot, without water, sewage, or
electricity, appraised for 42,500 dollars.  No fooling.  I
couldn't believe it.  Jesus, as I said, pours concrete for a
living.  He has one arm, too.  He lost the other arm in Mexico
many years ago in some type of an accident.  Anyhow, Jesus, the
one armed Jesus who pours concrete, is a legal American citizen.
He has 22 Mexican employees on his crew.  They are all legal
citizens of the United States, too.  We heard about Jesus through
a friend who builds houses for a living and my son made an
appointment for this one armed Jesus to come over and given him a
bid on a 1,650 square foot basement, a huge triple car garage
with a big concrete pad, and a 110 foot long driveway.  After
Jesus gave him the figures, my son had already gotten other bids,
my son decided he not only like the bid Jesus gave him, but he
liked the man, too.  This isn't, by the way, the real Jesus who
died for our sins.  Anyhow, Jesus said to my son, "Do you want me
to draw up a contract so you have everything I said in writing?"
My son, he was 21 years old at the time, said, "Do we need a
contract?"  Jesus said, "Well, that's up to you.  I have no
problem drawing one up."  Everett, my son, said, ""Jesus, I will
take you at your word if you will take me at my word that I will
pay you.  I don't need a contract if your word is good and I'm
willing to believe that it is."  Jesus said, "Your word is good
enough for me, Everett."  they shook hands on the deal.  Jesus
poured all the concrete, and then some, and charged only what he
said he would.  Although he poured a lot of extra for the garage
base pad, Jesus never charged any extra.  Everett paid him.  At
one point, we had three cement mixer trucks in our backyard.  Oh,
by the way, Jesus pays 40,000 dollars a year alone on workman's
comp for his employees.  My son and Jesus have been close friends
all these years now.  In fact, Everett sends him business and even
goes and works free for Jesus on some jobs when he has the time.
Jesus, in turn, loans my son things like trailers to hall things
with, small and large bobcats for moving and digging dirt, and
let's my son drive any of the earth moving equipment he wants.
Plus, Jesus has taught my son a lot and even with one arm, Jesus
works as hard as any two armed Mexican on his all Mexican crew.
But here is the purpose of my message.  I hope you haven't stopped
reading yet.

     The other day, my son and Jesus were together for something
and Jesus said that he was seriously thinking, after all these
years of being an American citizen, of moving his family back to
Mexico.  Everett was surprised because Jesus makes big bucks and
pays his people well.  So Everett asked him why.  Jesus said that
the illegals are causing his transportation costs to go so high,
he doesn't know how much more he can keep his crew going.  Everett
told him he didn't understand.  Jesus said that the low wages paid
illegals has caused him to take jobs from 50 to 100 miles away in
smaller rural Colorado towns.  Everett said he still didn't
understand.  Jesus said, "I am having fewer and fewer in town
jobs."  Everett asked him if it was just the time of season that
business was spreading out like that.  Jesus said, no.  It was
definitely caused by the low wages being paid to illegals, as he
said, and the other concrete contractors under bidding him because
now they could, plus, he said, the whites are leaving the city.
So, he said, "I am stuck going to where the business is and most
of that is getting to be in smaller town 50 to 100 miles away from
Denver.  Now, please keep in mind, although you think I am a
racist, that this is what Jesus said; my hand on the Bible.  Keep
in mind, I am not suggesting you need to believe the bible or
Jesus but this is the Gospel truth as Jesus spoke it.  Let's
spread that work out fairly to everybody in the union of the
Americas and maybe I'll be able to make a dollar and 10 cents an
hour as I did in 1970 as a social worker.  Boy it feels good!  We
broke the unions back so they aren't much help any more and the
rest we have out sourced to India.  They speak English, though, so
that's different.  I bet some of them customer service folks are
blind, too.  The ones overseas I mean.

Phil.