C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:18:11 -0400
7bit
From:
Frankly I don't care about the religious issues in this instance ---
this was an invasion of the right of families to grieve in private and a
huge disrespect to the armed forces.  But I think you're right, Linda,
because this was a civil suit, not a criminal case or a civil rights
case so it'd be awfully hard to overturn by the Supreme Courts. Hell, I
don't even consider it a "proper"  church, per se.  I wonder if their
tax-exempt status with the IRS would be in question - man, I'd love to
see that happen!

But I will say that some  Catholic parishes are in danger of going
bankrupt because of the civil suits filed against them for not doing
anything to prevent child abuses.  I think the line between church and
state have become blurred - I think it's the flip side of the coin for
having an Administration who tried to bring the religious Right into
politics and I think that they are finding there are two sides to the coin.

I recall that the KKK was "broken" a few years ago under the same sort
of civil law - a civil rights group filed suit against it and won and
irony of ironies, got the properties as part of the settlement.  I think
it was the KKK; it could have been another supremacist group.  I'm sure
someone here will be able to give more details.

Kat