ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Reeva Parry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:12:20 -0600
The Need For Illumination

But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God,
for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they
are spiritually discerned.--1 Corinthians 2:14.

The doctrine of the inability of the human mind and the need for
divine illumination is so fully developed in the New Testament, that
it is nothing short of astonishing that we should have gone so far
astray about the whole thing. Fundamentalism has stood aloof from the
Liberal in self-conscious superiority, and has on its own part fallen
into error, the error of textualism, which is simply orthodoxy
without the Holy Ghost. Everywhere among Conservatives, we find
persons who are Bible-taught, but not Spirit-taught. They conceive
truth to be something which they can grasp with the mind.

If a man holds to the fundamentals of the Christian faith, he is
thought to possess divine truth. But it does not follow. There is no
truth apart from the Spirit. The most brilliant intellect may be
imbecilic when confronted with the mysteries of God. For a man to
understand revealed truth requires an act of God, equal to the
original act, which inspired the text. ...

Conservative Christians in this day are stumbling over this truth.

We need to re-examine the whole thing. We need to learn that truth
consists, not in correct doctrine, but in correct doctrine, plus the
inward enlightenment of the Holy Spirit. We must declare again the
mystery of wisdom from above. A re-preachment of this vital truth
could result in a fresh breath from God upon a stale and suffocating orthodoxy.

  "Lord, I do believe in the authority of the Scriptures, and thank
You for that foundation of truth. But I need this reminder, that even
that inspired text is not alive, until the Holy Spirit takes it and
enlightens the recipients. May the Holy Spirit, indeed, take what I
teach, and imbed it in the hearts and minds of my hearers. Amen."