C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ken barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:40:04 -0700
any real exercise i di is supposed to be in a heated
swimming pool.

"overcoming the disability" included playing sports
but only sandlot as i could not make the cut on an
organized team. i do remember trowing a kid over my
head in football and he got a offer to play for
michigan state. so i was rough as h*ll when i was
young.

"over coming the disability" has really hurt me long
term.

--- "Cleveland, Kyle E."
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Manuela-
>

> Like several other folks on the list (Kat, Ken, et
> al) CP hit me with a glancing blow.  I'm a left
> hemi, but I wasn't impaired much growing up-no
> speech or cognitive issues and my spasticity was
> more of a cosmetic issue than a disability.  In high
> school I ran cross country and let's just say I was
> not always last in the races.
>

> CP became an issue for me in my late 20s and early
> 30s-the over-use problem that Kat wrote about.  The
> first indication that I was having problems was in
> 1992 when I was training as a cyclist for the
> Paralympics in Barcelona.  I tore my achilles during
> a qualifying ride.  During my recuperation I had an
> MRI that showed a lot of joint damage on the
> affected side-left hip, knee, shoulder.
>

> My mobility really declined from 1992 to 2000.  The
> biggest problem was fibromyalgia.  I was treated
> with opiates for the pain and did not have any other
> therapy.
>

> I live near Columbus, Ohio and I found a great
> doctor at the Ohio State University's Physical
> Medicine department.  He got me off of the opiates
> and started me on a PT regimen that consisted mostly
> of  warm water therapy and myofascial release.
>

> Today, I feel like I am back to the point I was
> twenty years ago.  I wear an articulated AFO on my
> left leg, get Botox (300 units) in my left medial
> hamstring every three months and exercise daily with
> a strict routine-and I stretch, stretch, stretch.
> Each day I ride a stationary bike for 20 minutes,
> 100 rpm with minimal resistance and then do a cycle
> on the weight machine (work one muscle group to
> exhaustion and then immediately work the opposing
> muscles-minimal weight, high reps).
>

> I am very fortunate to be able to work with a PT who
> had worked with head-wound soldiers coming back from
> the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.  He
> was able to flip from Active Army to the Guard and
> he's now working on long-term programs for these
> kids.  Some TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) patients
> have symptoms that mimic those of either athetoid or
> spastic CP.  His big focus is on stretching.  He's
> also taught my wife the myofascial release
> techniques which do wonders for my fibro pain and
> gait.
>

> I don't engage in any sport that would involve high
> impact to the major joints-no running, jumping, etc.
>  My sports, if you want to call them that, are
> cycling, fly fishing and target shooting.
>

> You'll find in our CP sphere that adults are left
> with the short end of the stick.  All of the
> research funding is spent on juvenile studies and
> little regard is given to those of use who are aging
> with CP.  Ours is the first generation that lived to
> middle age and beyond with the condition, so we are,
> and probably will remain an enigma to the medical
> community.
>

> Kyle

=== message truncated ===

Got a little couch potato?