BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The listserv that doubts your pants are worth $42 million.
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:46:32 -0100
> It's interesting, not surprising, how this relates to the previous
> e-mail's content in that the apparent, or not so apparent depending on
> you perspective, chasm betwixt the trades and the professionals has in
> many ways to do with how we get there now versus how we got there then.

Rudy,

Parallels between talking about guilds and traditional apprenticeships.
Both of these existed within, were supported and defined by very
specific socio-economic political and cultural climates. When we
encounter talk now about a desire to reformulate guilds and traditional
apprenticeships I am always first brought up sharply to the negative
portions of those historical systems that we would not ourselves want to
tolerate in our own lives. I think it is extremely important to try to
understand how we got here now, and where we are going, and who might be
following us. We need new words to define our experience. To frame our
contemporary needs within the context of models that are no longer vital
I feel that we have a whole host of reasons to avoid.

][<