From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 22:31:58 -0400
Gary,

I'll echo Kevin's praise of Tokyo Hy Power.   HRO now sells 3 THP units:
The legal limit amp just started shipping and is in the $5-$6 thousand
range. The one Kevin mentioned as being on his wish list is the HL 1.5KFX
and is around $3,100.  The small one is the HL 1.2 KFX and is the
replacement for the one that Kevin currently owns.  It is the one I got just
before Christmas.    I think the main change  between Kevin's and mine is
that they changed the final FET's and  there is a little more output as  a
result. Rated at 750 pep ssb, 630 cw and 400 rtty.   Current price is
$2,000.

Ameritron has the ALS-600 in the $1,300 range and latest production  models
allow auto bandswitching with an optional unit.
 They sell a lot of these and they always seem to be back ordered. Some
people love Ameritron and some people have nothing but grief.

There are also high end units from Yeasu, Icom, and the new one from Europe,
the SPE Expert.

You can read up on all these  and find manufacture's links by going to the
e-ham product reviews / hf amplifiers page.

As for accesibility, just turn it on, set the band switch if not auto
bandswitching,  put in operate mode and you're ready to go.

Mine has severalLED's on the front that will light if  a fault causes the
amp to shut down.  You can use a light probe to see which LED is on , and
this will tell you what happened.

If you are not aware, SS amps are sensitive to swr.    This means you need
resonant antennas, or  an external tuner that can handle the amp's power.
Some  higher end units, like David's, have built in auto tuners.  Mine will
trip out  at swr of more than 1.8:1 to protect the finals.  I think other
brands and models are in that same ballpark.  When protection trips, you
need to reset the amp by turning it off and on again.

I've been very happy with mine.

73, STEVE KW3A