From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:52:16 -0400
Hi Shaun.

The inverted Vees should fit in your yard just fine.  The lower height will
probably limit your DX somewhat, but the system should still play.  My
guess is that your vees will be a little shallower than mine, and that will
affect tuning to some degree because the impedance will be different, but I
think that with the tube rig, it will still be satisfactory.  If your fence
is metal, you may wish to avoid the loop as metal in the near field of the
antenna can make it fairly miserable to match.

The year after we had the Field Day exercise that I described, we tried the
loop from a different site.  Unfortunately the cars in the parking lot were
in the near field of the antenna on 80 and 40 meters and every time someone
moved a car the SWR changed!  We quickly converted the antenna to a G5RV
and had much less trouble.  If the fence isn't a metal fence, then you are
probably okay with the loop, but you are going to have a near vertical
angle of radiation especially on the lower frequencies so you'll probably
be the strongest signal on the band inside of about 500 km, but
substantially weaker outside of that radius.  That will probably be the
case on 80 and 40 meters, but you'll probably be ok abouve 10 MHz.

The good news is that you have some pretty good usable space there.  Almost
twice as much usable space as I have here -- I'm trying not to turn green
with envy!

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK