From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 16:58:16 -0400
Hi Robert.

That depends upon a number of things--what kind of terrain you live in,
your antenna's height above average terrain, the amount of gain in your
antenna, the amount of loss in your feedline, your transmitter power,
whether or not there are nearby obstructions, and all of the same factors
come into play with the other station as well.  Also, the mode has some
influence on range--SSB typically carries a little further than FM, and CW
carries substantially further than either SSB or FM.

For a typical 50 watt FM installation with one of the 6 dB gain antennas on
the roof in flat terrain, 50 to 75 miles is reasonable.

For an indoor antenna, you can shorten that distance to 20 to 50 miles.

If you want to put up a good beam with plenty of gain and get it up 40 or
50 feet, you can extend that range to over a hundred miles assuming that
you do not have unfavorable terrain.

This is typical performance for 2 meters.  You didn't specify which VHF
range.  Terrain is not quite as much of an issue on 6 meters, but the
antennas are larger, so it is harder to put up an antenna with a lot of gain.

And of course, none of this discussion takes into unusual propagation
conditions into account.  Get a good aurora going, or a good sporadic E
skip opening going, and these figures are out the window.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 11:13 AM 3/24/2008 -0700, you wrote:
>     What is typical range of VHF on 2 meters?  I am getting a few around my
>area tho one I never hear voice, just a rather consistent noise.
>
>*---*  *---*  *---*  *---*  *---*
>Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?
>  -- Steven Wright
>Robert & Dreamer Doll  ke7nwn
>Newport, Oregon
>N24C 3G 8/2000 Hookup