C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2008 13:46:07 -0700
In 1983, my Grandmother, Dad and Aunts were faced with the prospect of
having to decide whether to continue providing ventilator support for
my Grandfather.  He'd had heart surgery, and got a rare (1:1000)
complication that was destroying his lungs.  He was put on the vent,
but didn't respond to treatment for the condition, so the surgeon
asked my family what they wanted to do.  The decision was eventually
made (after about a day) to remove the vent.  He died relatively
peacefully within 20 minutes.

This case is differernt, in that the parents are being told that they
must do this to preserve scarce resources.

--

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950