C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
greta von der luft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:55:53 -0500
I have some strange interests and one them is trying to keep up to date on
the pathophysiology and etiology of CP. Some of the causes of CP that I am
familiar with include:

   - mom having an increased risk of bleeding (type of hemophilia) or
   clotting during her pregnancy.
   - mom having an bacterial infection/virus during her pregnancy causing a
   spike in temperature
   - mom having a viral/bacterial infection in her birth canal at the time
   of birth
   - mom having increased stress during her pregnancy (particulary if she
   lives in an area of high crime/violence/tension)
   - mom having a poor diet during her pregnancy
   - mom having a poorly defined placenta and blood supply to the
   embryo/fetus

All of these except for the diet can cause a change in the
fetal/embryo/neonate's heart rate and blood pressure which then can cause
the "brain injury" (aka static encephalopathy) that is commonly found in
people with cerebral palsy.

However, in premature infants there is an artery called the Heubner artery
near the fourth ventricle in the brain which does not have good collateral
(replacement circulation if needed) that is very vulnerable to injury from
changes in BP and HR. If this area is compromised by these changes the nerve
fibers for the legs are affected. If there is a sinificant affect/damage
here then the trunk and arm fibers are affected.

Here ends the anatomy lesson...I have not heard of genetic causes of CP...

Take care and hope everyone is having a great summer.

Greta

Here