From:
Richard Fiorello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:49:42 -0500
Hi;
Anything is possible but in most cases I have seen a small change in the
settings will make a big change in performance and tube life.  I would
suggest you hold out for a tone system.  Speaking of which, if you can find
something it is much easier to use a meter and tone system in the antenna
line rather than trying to connect a tone to the radio's meter.  I connected
a tone oscillator to my drake tr4 back in the 1970s and it worked reasonably
well.  Then I got the brilliant idea that I should have a plug so I could
plug and unplug the tone unit.  It sounded and worked reasonably well until
I discovered that touching the socket when nothing was plugged in could give
one a bit of a jolt.  Nothing life threatening certainly but there was
definitely some voltage across that meter.
Richard