From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 22:36:09 -0500
My Yaesu FT-950 arrived last week after a minor hassle with UPS.  So far I
have listened a lot, worked my brother on 20 meter SSB, and TI and 6Y5 on
75.  I have to do some more wiring to get a keyer paddle hooked up.

There are 58 pushbuttons and 9 knobs on this rig.  It is easy to get into a
mode where you are running split, are transmitting on the wrong VFO, or
other things.  But I currently have the hang of entering frequencies from
the keypad, adjusting bandwidth, IF shift, attenuation, preamps, AGC and
more.  I am happy with the receive performance so far, and my brother says
the Heil mike sounds especially good.

My first attempts to connect to the rig using Ham Radio Deluxe have been
unsuccessful.  I am trying to do it through a USB to serial adapter.  Much
more to learn and many more experiments to do.  And I'm not sure that HRD
can currently show me my menu settings, which is one of the things I want to
be able to do.  So I don't have the dynamic noise filter set as a custom
setting, and the VOX sensitivity is too high to be useful until I get into
that menu.

More info later.

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls