From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2008 10:14:56 -0600
Taken from this week's MoPix update.  Some of you in Massachusetts may be
familiar with this person.

"Before we get to the MoPix news of the week, we'd like to remember in this
particular issue of the MoPix Update an important though little-known figure
in the history access for people with disabilities.  Phil Collyer was the
first director of The Caption Center at WGBH, itself the first organization
in the world created to make television accessible to people who were deaf
and hard of hearing through captioning.  Phil spearheaded the captioning of
Julia Child's The French Chef way back in 1972, and then took on the
challenge of captioning a national news program in the days before live or
real time captioning. Under his stewardship, The Captioned ABC Evening News
became a reality. Phil passed away quite unexpectedly last Sunday here in
Massachusetts.  All the achievements in the area of accessibility that WGBH,
and indeed the industry we founded back then, can point to today are due in
large measure to his can-do (in fact, must-do) spirit.  We stand on the
shoulders of a giant who spoke softly and carried a big brain. Thanks Phil."

Harvey