From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 09:14:38 -0600
Ever since the day my brother dismantled an old AM radio, and placed the 2
speakers in small cardboard boxes above our beds, I've had a weakness for
scrounging speakers. Ultimately, that experiment resulted in at least a half
dozen speakers pulled from old tv sets, cars, etc, being connected in
various series and parallel combinations as an early 60's "AM Surround
Sound" project that impressed every kid in the neighborhood.

Of course, neither of us knew anything at all about impedance. We just tried
various configurations with whatever we had until it worked and played loud!

All that  to say that even today, a loose speaker is likely to follow me
home from a hamfest.

My favorite speaker for my TS570 is one that I bought at our local hamfest
about 25 years ago for a whole 50 cents. It is in a metal cabinet about half
the size of Steve's wonderful Halacrafter unit. Judging from the other
components that were in the cabinet, it was part of someone's homebrew audio
project.

I cleaned up the cabinet, removed the stray parts, and replaced the
crumbling rubber feet with new ones. It now sits atop my TS570.

I also have a Kenwood SP120 speaker. Other than the cosmetics, this 50 cent
junkbox find blows it right off the table, producing better fidelity, and a
much higher volume level at a lower setting of the volume control.

I occasionally encounter an old Motorola speaker that works well with most
fm rigs. It's in a small square metal box about 4 inches square and not
quite as thick. The model number for that one escapes me.

Mike Duke, K5XU