Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:32:39 -0700
At 09:16 PM 3/11/2007, you wrote:
>Has anyone had any experience with Internal Drive LightScribe. I
>develop professional type DVD slideshows. I currently print to a DVD
>with an Epson printer. I was wondering how the LightScribe performs
>and how fast it burns imprint on the CD/DVD. Anything you can tell
>me regarding the device would really help. I am looking at one at
>Best Buy. It is normally $62.00. But, they have it on sale for $49.00.

I own a Ben Q DVD burner with Lightscribe and a Epson R200 CD/DVD
InkJet printer. The one advantage Lightscribe has over your Epson
InkJet is that Lightscribe is burned into the surface with a laser in
the burner, and is permanent. Using the driver, or third party
software, you flip over your Lightscribe media in your Lightscribe
burner, and burn the label you have designed, much like you burned your data.

The design may change, but every Lightscribe label has, pretty much,
the same look, and feel. Your Epson InkJet  produces  a wide
assortment of spectacular results, on modestly priced media, but the
Inkjet printing can be easily smeared, or even washed off.

The Epson pops out any DVD print job in a couple of minutes, but it
takes 20 to 30 minutes to burn even the simplest label with
Lightscribe. Elaborate designs can take much longer, and the special
8X media is very expensive relative to printable DVDs, which is why
Lightscribe media typically comes in 10 or 20 packs.

Lightscribe can produce a cool, and unique look with the proper
design. It does not require any special printer or software outside
of it's own driver, although I prefer to use ShureThing design
software for all my media printing designs. Lightscribe is not
something I use very often. I got it because I thought it could
replace my Sharpie for simple Data labeling, but the media is so
expensive, and the burn time is so long, that I never use it for that
purpose. Instead, for simple labeling, I use a Casio CW 100 thermal
printer which prints like a laser printer.

Every now and then I have some particular design that ends up looking
pretty cool when burned with Lightscribe. But the limitations of
Lightscribe make me  question whether it is worth the premium cost of
Lightscribe hardware, and media.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/