THYROID Archives

Thyroid Discussion Group

THYROID@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joan McPhee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:37:47 -0700
on 1/4/04 8:59 PM, Donald Michael, MD at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Neither thyroxin (T4) nor liothyronine (T3), to the best of my knowledge, need
> to be digested to be absorbed. Which part of the tablet are we interested in
> digesting?

That's what I get for being in such a rush these days.  My response was not
based on the "need to digest" a thyroid med, so much as the description of
parasympathetic response created by the smell of food or a food substance on
the tongue.

[Ballew's] original message said:
~~~~~~~~
 "I recall Doc Don mentioned this, if you
want to search the Thyroid Archives for what he said exactly. Here's what I
remember is the jist of it:

Thyroid replacement hormone is only ONLY absorbed in one small part of the
digestive tract - the jejunum."
~~~~~~~~

Do you remember talking about this process Doc Don?

-- Joan McPhee, MH, WT
   mailto:[log in to unmask] --

 Thyroid messages contain only the opinions of their authors.
 Opinions expressed on Thyroid do not necessarily reflect the
 opinions of the management, publisher, or our advertisers.

 Change your own account here
   http://www.Emissary.Net/Thyroid/index.html

If a question isn't answered on Thyroid, check the Thyroid Archives:
<http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/thyroid.html> and ask again!