From:
Joan McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:04:50 -0500

Here is my summary on traveling to Scotland – thanks to everyone who sent
me information; sorry it’s taken me so long to respond.

A number of people mentioned that Tesco and Sainsbury stores have Gluten
free foods.  Most of the stores had an entire isle.

Because of the relatively high degree of celiac awareness in the UK in general,
Scotland's not much of a problem. They like their meat pies and stews
thickened with flour, so a lot of the everyday food is n.g. for us, but in most
restaurants, it is not too difficult to get people to understand gluten-free
needs. My rule of thumb is that the more upscale the place, the easier it is.
The more sophisticated the kitchen is, the more control they are likely to have
over the ingredients-meaning they're not using processed stuff or commercial
enhancers in things like soup stocks.

We were in Scotland last spring and did not have any difficulty finding gluten
free food for myself and my son.

For other tips about traveling gluten free in the UK (and elsewhere in Europe),
see my blog, called "Way of the Celiac Traveler."
www.wayoftheceliactraveler.blogspot.com.

Have a great trip - here are my tips from an incredible gluten-free vacation in
Scotland http://glutenguide.blogspot.com/2006/11/tartan-week.html

I can tell you that most of the restaurants in the hotels seem to be aware of
celiac and would go through the menu with me and let me know what was
okay.

Restaurants Listed:
Café Mao in Glasgow: www.cafemao.com
Always Sunday Food Company, near St. Giles Cathedral at 170 High Street
(the Royal Mile) in Edinburgh. Tel: 131-622-0667. It's a small café that serves
nutritious food, and they are aware of gluten.
Just ask for the owner/manager and have her point out what is gluten-free.

We were in Scotland last spring and did not have any difficulty finding gluten
free food for myself and my son.

Hotels and Bed & Breakfast’s that accommodated celiacs:
Preistville Guest house in Edinburgh
Bunchrew House Hotel in Inverness: http://www.bunchrew-inverness.co.uk

I wrote to and received a Restaurant Listing from the Glasgow Gluten Free
Support Group – if you email me I would be glad to forward it along to anyone
who’d like to have it.

Hope this has been helpful!