ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 16:48:29 -0700
Angel,

I think the objection that many fundamentalists have is not just
Mary being called one's mother, but speaks more to the Marian
doctrine that she is the mother of God.  Of course, I understand
that Catholics, and they are certainly not the only ones, in fact
do believe Mary was the mother of God.  Other Christian
fundamentalist don't find this in Scripture so it is the
implication of Mother Mary that rubs the doctrinal fur wrong.  I'm
quite aware of all the passages of Scripture used in attempting to
prove Mary was not only the mother of Jesus but, since Jesus is
God, thus she must likewise be the Mother of God.  Jesus, of
course, referred to Mary as His mother but it is obvious He was
referring to Mary as His earthly, or human, mother by which He
entered the world as Messiah.  If Jesus is God, and the Scriptures
are loaded with the confirmation of that doctrine, then He, Jesus,
as God, cannot by human nature have a mother, that is, God was not
born.  Jesus was but He was the Messiah.  God is not the Messiah
but we call Him, based upon Scriptures, Father.  My point is this.
If I said to you, God is my Father, but completed my statement by
saying He is my earthly father and by Him I was born, this would
be theologically and Biblically incorrect.  If I refer to Him as
my spiritual Father, then no doctrine is violated.  I guess you
could say, so I will, that it is in the believing of the doctrinal
details that makes truth real and final.  I understand what you
said below but you and I both know that you are not just referring
to Mary as Mother in the same way we all refer to God as our
Father.  I've written and researched Vatican statements
extensively to try and understand the Catholic belief in Marian
theology so it isn't my purpose to try and reinvent the Marian
wheel here on this list.  Furthermore, there is no reason for you
to read my findings because you wouldn't agree with them anyway.
I'm not trying to change your mind here but just trying to turn a
little light on why fundamentalists disagree calling Mary our
Mother.  Even Jesus insisted His mother wasn't a doctrine in which
to believe when one woman tried proclaiming her as such but
instead elevated, without hesitation, all peoples of the world who
made Him, Jesus, the Lord of their lives, through salvitic
conversion.  This means, regardless of what one calls Mary, born
again believers in the Messiah, whom Jesus is, theologically held
in an even higher position than Mary ever did, or could, upon
earth.  Yes, I know you believe she was also resurrected, thus
making her even spiritually superior to born again believers, but
there is no Biblical record of that.  There is likewise no
Biblical record of her becoming the Redemptoris, that is, becoming
through a hypostatic union with the Messiah, as co-redeemer of all
those who receive and accept Christ as Lord and Savior.  This is,
of course, only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to explaining
Marian theology.  It is that first step away from Biblical
evidence of Mary's humanity as the one chosen to give birth to,
God with us, that continually reduces  and diminishes, the
personage and nature of the Messiah to the point He is
theologically morphed  into something other than the true God of
the Bible.

Phil.