ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sharon Hooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jan 2008 10:19:09 -0700
Phil,

Thanks for sharing the concept and examples of the double bind.  Now I'm
wondering, what do you call the type of bind that causes circular reasoning,
or what I also seem to have, that I call coiling reasoning.  It reminds me
of an old-time cook stove that has burners that coil out and out and out
from the center.  Here's an example of what I realize now is circular
reasoning for me:

Sharon:  "Lord, I'm afraid of myself, that I'll destroy myself!Surely there
is a condition that I must meet, like I have to do my part, things to help
keep myself from falling away from salvation, or I need to force myself to
be sincere and be willing to do my part in refraining from addictive sin in
order to be saved in the first place.  Therefore, I do not want to stop
worrying about it."

Jesus, "the only condition you have to meet is to focus on Me, not on
yourself."

Sharon:  "but what if I'm not doing that?  I feel unwilling to do this, and
am afraid I never will, so I still feel the need to worry about me.  I don't
see the way up!"

An example of coiling reasoning that bothers me far less often might be:

"Lord, please help me to believe that You will help me to believe that You
will help me to believe..."

Sharon