Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 18:01:41 -0500

I received scores of informative responses. It would take pages to copy and paste responses, so I'm trying to summarize as best I can. For sure, a rheumatologist or endocrinologist should determine how much Vit. D supplement you should take, unless you're keeping it around the 1000 IU over-the-counter range. But for large doses and follow up tests, you need your doctor.

Most said ideal goal is 40-60 blood level, although for treatment of MS or fibromyalgia, numbers should be between 100-125. Toxicity occurs when blood level reaches 200.

Recommendations to check parathyroid. (My doc did.). Another said check for insufficient phosphorous levels.
One recommended watching vitamin K-2 level. ("Vitamin K2 Can Remove Dangerous Calcium from Arteries," by James Howenstine, MD.  Article found in Well Being Journal, November/December 2007 issue. )
One person warned to monitor calcium in the urine, another monitors blood calcium. (My doc thought my D would be normal because my blood calcium was normal.)

One person said that her vit D3 product said to not take with magnesium, but it's in the calcium pills, so I'm not sure how to get around that one. A couple say they take their calcium and vitamin D with orange juice because vit. C helps absorption.

Most people were put on 50,000 IU at some point. The schedule varied. Once a day for a period of weeks. Once a week for a period of months. Only in winter. Most start out as daily or weekly then drop the dose as test scores improve.

Some take 2000 IU during the winter months, north of Atlanta, GA or Denver, CO...you get the picture. Then take 1000 IU the rest of the year, with ample sunshine exposure.

Quite a few pointed out that as we age, vit. D. deficiency becomes more common.

Almost all said that they take some form of calcium with the Vit. D., typically 1200-1800mg daily. Almost all said they drink milk, such as Lactaid with Calcium, and eat other dairy products, since there is still the premise that D from food is absorbed the best.

Brands that are listed a gf.
Most said D-3 (cholecalciferol) is best form for absorption..it seems to come in a number of brands.
Douglas Laboratories' D-3 (from Amazon.com)
Pliva generic D-3
Drisdol
Drisdol Vit. D liquid drops from Sanofi Labs. Caveat: a 2 ox bottle is $170, but should last 1-2 yrs.
Walgreens
Swanson
Freeda
Rocaltrol 0.25mcg...form of calcitriol
Twin Lab's alergy D...dry powder in capsule
Vit. D fish oil concentrate
Nature Made
Nature's Bounty
Kirkland..Costco
OsCal 500+D
Citrical + D
Solgar Vit. D3
Biotech D3
Carlson soft gels
Spring Valley Cod Liver Oil

For non medicinal treatment, get a Sperti sun lamp (online). Use for 15 minutes a day, rotating which part of body is exposed.

Recommended
-Dr. Michael Horlick's book, UV Advantage--came up more than once. He treats fibromyalgia as a vit. D deficiency.
book by Dr. Peter Green
-Dr. Ron Rosedal says don't take more than 600mg Ca a day or the body will deposit it as bone spurs and arterial plaque. I should add my 2 cents (me, Linda), that my husband can't take calcium supplements because he's prone to kidney stones...so watch the calcium intake if you have them.
-www.vitamindcouncil.com  site has free newsletter
-www.ms-direct.com

quote from listmate. that warrants special note:
"...a recent study of post menopausal women that found that found that ALL
incidences of cancer in women taking 2000 units of Vit D a day were
reduced 60%!!  The study was initially looking for a possible impact
on breast cancer, but found that all different types of cancer were
affected.  I heard an interview on National Public Radio and you
might be able to find it on their website."