From:
Beth Hillson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beth Hillson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2008 11:21:32 -0400

Dear Listmates,

The food and nutritional professional members of the American Dietetic
Association are instrumental in helping individuals with celiac disease
learn how to adjust to the gluten-free diet.  They, better than most health
professionals, understand how critical the GF diet is to those with celiac
disease.

With this in mind, and knowing of the need to raise awareness, the ADA wrote
to Congress earlier this month in support of the Celiac Awareness
legislation.  Having the support of the ADA makes a big difference as we
move forward on issues like improving the school lunch program.

There's so much that we are able to do when we work together as a community
and with other organizations who share the goal of improving the health and
well-being of those with celiac disease.  I wanted to share that letter with
you.  Here it is:

March 12, 2008

The Honorable Nita Lowey
United States House of Representative
Washington, DC 20515

 Dear Ms. Lowey:

 The American Dietetic Association is the largest organization of food and
nutrition professionals in the United States. We promote optimal nutrition
and well being of all
people, by relying on evidence-based practices and policies. To that end,
ADA is pleased to support H. Con. Res 70 that would support the goals and
ideals of National Celiac Awareness Month, encourage screening and early
detection of celiac disease, and promote Federal funding for celiac disease
research.

Celiac disease is an autoimmune condition, where the body's immune system
starts attacking normal tissue, such as intestinal tissue, in response to
eating gluten, a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley. The only known
treatment for celiac disease is to follow a gluten-free diet and registered
dietitians play a vital role in helping people with celiac disease
successfully follow this treatment plan. The NIH Consensus Development
Conference on Celiac Disease held in June 2004 found that consultation with
a skilled dietitian and identification and treatment of nutritional
deficiencies were key elements in the management of celiac disease.

H. Con. Res. 70 is a positive step in acknowledging the prevalence of celiac
disease in the United States, and the importance role registered dietitians
play in helping people with celiac disease successfully manage this disease.
We look forward to working with you and your staff on this issue.

Sincerely,
Ronald E. Smith
Director, Government Relations
American Dietetic Association

You can voice your support for H. Con. Res. 70 and learn more about the
American Celiac Disease Alliance by visiting www.americanceliac.org

Beth Hillson
President, American Celiac Disease Alliance
V-P, Product Development & Consumer Information
Glutino USA/Gluten-Free Pantry
www.glutenfree.com

*******
*******