From:
Donna &/or Kieran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna &/or Kieran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:22:23 -0500

Following advice from list members, I went to the Greenleaf store and was
not pleased when I saw their salad bar.  The one place I know I can eat in
Nashville doesn't seem to have much in the way of gluten containing items in
their salad bar, but Greenleaf's had croutons, couscous, and barley
surrounded by other salad items.  It wouldn't have been so bad if they'd all
been bunched together.  So I spoke to the guy behind the counter who said
no, there was nothing there he would advise me to eat.  His girlfriend has
CD and works in the sushi bar, which is safe enough but was closed at that
hour.  I asked about the prepared foods served out of big dishes, and the
guy working there said that he knew some of them were GF but not which ones.
I figured that if he didn't know any more than that, it was better not to
risk it.  THEN I would up talking to an employee who used to be their GF
baker before the place changed hands.  She said there was way too much flour
from the pizza dough to even consider any food made or handled in that part
of the store.  I suggested she see if they would let her bake in the sushi
bar section when it was closed, but it's too small.  We discussed what a
shame it is that such a place cares no more about what could be a very
faithful customer base.  Then I ate a bar I had handy in my pocket while my
husband ate some kind of pasta stuff.
    Next night we went to a place called The Curry Pot, where I talked with
the owner about what gluten is.  He learned that "all purpose flour" is made
from wheat.  Then he said the dosas were traditionally made from lentils and
rice and the filling would be fine.  They also brought some lentil soup and
pappadums and sauces for dipping.  The food was WONDERFUL, but I don't know
if the problems I had the next day were from gluten, or hot peppers, or my
period starting unexpectedly when I thought I was well into menopause.  I
had the runs and was in a daze (something that happens on the first day of
my period).  Could have been gluten, could have been the other factors.
There were none of the usual gluten aches and pains.  But I will say that if
I lived in Chattanooga, I would sure spend some time with those people till
they had the GF stuff down pat.  The food was exceptional.  Mind you, I have
very little restaurant experience, but it wasn't the usual MSG enhanced
junk.
    Another day we went for lunch to The Big River, where I was prepared to
drink my coffee and watch my companions eat.  I did ask about a few items on
the menu and the waiter went to ask the cook.  He came back and suggested
the chicken and grilled veggies.  I asked, "And are these veggies going to
be grilled right where a bunch of stuff with gluten have been cooked?"  He
answered hastily, "Oh no, they clean off the grill and use fresh utensils."
I was really impressed that he knew what he was talking about, but I added,
"And they aren't going to top them off with soy sauce either?"  He said
definitely not.  So I just got the veggies, and they were fantastic, all I
could have eaten anyway.
    The thing that I don't think most restaurants realize is that if just
one person in a couple or family or group of friends requires GF food, they
will attract the entire party by offering what that one person needs.
Donna in Cookeville