From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:34:21 -0700
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 15:55:43 -0700, Juergen Botz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> The trouble with your argument is that you're throwing out the baby
> with the bathwater.  Just because biofuel is bad (and although I agree
> that the current "fashion" for biofuel is BS, that's another question)
> that doesn't mean that we should stop EATING all the plants that
> biofuel is or can be produced from.  In the contrary, one way of
> fighting biofuel is to create more market for the food value of
> those plants... coconut oil in health food stores is costs many
> times of what it costs in the diesel tank, so if only enough
> people buy it the farmer will sell to this market rather than
> biofuel.
Good point!  Diesel is at around $3.50/gallon!  You'd pay $65 or more
for a gallon of "extravirgin" coconut oil.  We need to buy MORE coconut
oil.
Even now, a gallon of gasoline or diesel fuel is incredibly cheap; cheaper
than bottled water, for goodness sake.  But politics comes into these
discussions in the form of fuel self-sufficiency for countries, so it is
not always the economic argument that carries the most weight.

	Lynnet