Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2008 08:52:15 -0800
Thank you for that perspective Lynnet.

  Although I believe that the paleolithic diet is the best diet we currently have for healthy living, I treat diet (and most everything else) as a science rather than as a belief system.  Sometimes in reading these posts (not specifically this Vitamin D issue) I feel people treat diet like a religion, rather than as an understudied and oftentimes biased science, but science nonetheless.  Yes it is highly complex and subject to a wide range of individual differences (like all medicine) and therefore there will always be inconsistent evidence, but that does not mean that we are not moving toward more complete answers.  In my experience, the best science will out in the long run.  I think Gary Taubes believes this as well.

  I try to live my life as a rational skeptic.  I am grateful to have found among these lists a number of other rational skeptics and I thoroughly enjoy reading these posts.  But I do not find logical (for example) the notion that if something was unavailable to our paleolithic ancestors it is necessarily not to be consumed.  It is not necessarily true that paleoman must have consumed something in order for a food to be genetically compatible with the human species.  I consume flaxseed oil, and any number of fish found in northern freshwater rivers, lakes, streams as well as ocean life that my ancestors would not have consumed during paleolithic times.  For that matter, I do not limit myself to species of animals found only on the African savannah.  I enjoy beef, elk, venison, bison etc.

  gale

Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:00:49 -0700, Paula

wrote:

> Given our recent discussions of vitamin D and getting enough in our
> diets, I
> thought some of you might find the info and discussion on the following
> web
> site interesting:
>

> http://drmccleary.com/

Actually it seems somewhat strange. Colorado has the highest incidence of
MS in the U.S., and Larimer County highest in the state. We have about
300 sunny
days per year; and at a higher elevation, we have MORE sunlight getting
through to the skin than people at lower elevations and with more humidity.
Colorado people also tend to spend a lot of time outdoors: hiking, biking,
jogging,
skiing, etc. etc. etc., so again they would have more sunlight exposure
compared
to some other parts of the country.

This is a very complicated issue, with strongly held opinions on all sides.
I don't think anybody has the answer yet, although a lot of people THINK
they
have the answer.

Lynnet