From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 15:31:16 -0700
I've recently found a local source of pastured pork.  I buy the fat scraps
and
make my own lard.  The stuff has a light delicious flavor, and the
cracklings
are better than chocolate :-) I have been using lard to grease the pan
lately,
saving the olive oil for specific uses where the flavor is important.
Pastured
pork fat has a very nice fat profile, with a high proportion of oleic.
(I'll try
to find a chart).  If you can find fresh side pork (not salted) you can do
the same
with it, either rendering it down, or cutting into little squares and
adding to your
dish.

What you don't want are the commercial lards, with all the junk and
preservatives they put in them.  After all, if the stuff keeps on the
store counter without refrigeration, it must be dosed up to the gills.
The flavor is strong and unpleasant.

	Lynnet