From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 17:50:39 -0600
well, yes, it is a separate receiver in the radio, but that is how the cross
band repeater actually functions.
There are two separate receivers and transmitters more or less in the
ts2000.
One transceiver can cross band onto the other transceiver on to any band
other then the same band.  For instance, you can't repeat within the same
band, but only from one band to another.
You can cross band repeat from 449.995 to 1.805 and anywhere in between if
you want.
You can cross band repeat onto different modes, say from 70CM FM to 20
meters SSB.
You cannot cross band from SSB to SSB though since the sub transceiver does
not have ssb capabilities.
Don't get cross band confused with lock band.  They are two different
functions.
The cross band repeat will transmit and receive on both frequencies that are
set.

So, if i set my ht to 446.050 simplex, and set my ts2000 to cross band from
446.050 simplex to 146.52 simplex, the second I key my HT on 70CM, the
ts2000 will receive it, and then retransmit it simaltaniously on 146.52.
Then, when the ts2000 receives a signal on 146.52, it'll simaltaniously
retransmit it on 446.050 which is where my ht is listening.  You can also
have separate UHF and VHF tx and rx offsets functioning with cross band
repeat

lock band repeat will only perform this in one direction, say if I want to
be able to use my ts2000 to get a clear signal into a 2 meter repeater using
70CM on my handheld, but without the ts2000 repeating the repeaters receive
frequency back to my handheld.  I have to have a dual band handheld for
this.
The ts2000 will only retransmit a received signal one direction instead of
both in lock band mode.
This can be handy as a repeater relay station in times of emergency.
Ultimately, with one of the cross band capable kenwood dual band mobiles,
and the ts2000 together, you could easily make a same band 2M or 70CM
temporary repeater....you wouldn't have good separation or filtering, but it
could work if you placed antennas far enough away from one another or used
directional antennas for half the antennas.

I sometimes feather my squelch on HF just to the point where an S1 signal
will open it, but it stays closed the rest of the time.  This can work well
for cross banding from VHF or UHF onto HF using an HT with the ts2000.

Another great use of cross band repeat on the 2000 and an HT is tracking
down RFI and fixing it.
You can cross band repeat ontot he HF band that is the RFI causer, then work
on resolving the RFI while checking the output of the transmitter on HF with
the VHF or UHF HT at the point of the interpherence, say a TV, telephone or
other consumer electronic device.

The D7 HT takes all this to the next level by utilizing data transfer on one
of the bands and controlling functions of the ts2000 remotely via the HT's
keypad.
Same with the TM D700...this is what they call sky command.
It isn't sky command without that extra data flow to control the TS2k.

73
Colin, V A6BKX