From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2008 08:21:21 -0600
	What is the toll-free number for the ARRL members? I am
a life member but became one in 1975 long before the present
landscape existed.

	My license expires at the end of this month. I was going
to renew it on line via the new Mac I have at work but got
caught in one of those wonderful accessibility snags. Right now
the only browser for Mac that is truly accessible is safari
which is a good thing because many sites will work with safari,
but, of course, not the FCC's site. It requires Internet
Exploder, probably one compiled by the light of a 3RD-Quarter
moon when it is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with
Mars. Well, the Fifth Dimension gave me that idea, but one would
hope that a public site would be less esoteric.

	Anyway, when I tried to apply for a FRN, it appeared to
work but then nothing ever happened on their end.

	The Firefox browser might work, but it has not yet been
made accessible for the Mac. It probably will be one day, but
not before March 31. GRRR!

	I could have gone the Windows/JAWS route at work, but I
am a UNIX geek through and through and I knew that these things
would happen from time to time, but I need to go to Plan B for
now.

	As for remembering the good/bad old days, I cam remember
a few trips down town in Oklahoma City in the seventies to take
the 13-WPM CW, once in 1969 at which point I flunked but got
enough right in a row to qualify for a Technician License.

	In March of 1970, I went back to that place of terrors
and passed. In fact, I remember the examiner watching me say the
letters and he just stopped the tape after a minute because I
already had it.

	One of the last times I took one of those FCC-given
exams was in 1976 in a relatively new building at 5TH and
Robinson in Oklahoma City called the Alphred P. Morough Federal
building. It was the Advanced Class and I passed it after 2
tries.