From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2008 06:06:12 -0800
Hi Anthony,

It's not the grounds on the MC-60A.  At least not totally.  When Kenwood
built the 480, for some reason they reversed the mic and system grounds in
the RJ-45 plug.  I believe these are pins 3 and 5.  The MJ-88 and the MC-60A
are wired for standard Kenwood use.  It is necessary to reverse these two
grounds somewhere in the process to make the MC-60A work on the 480.  I had
a friend who simply cut off the old RJ-45 from the adapter and crimped a new
one in its place with these grounds reversed and all worked great.

The other problem, of course, is the old one of the MC-60 and the A version
not being at complete ground but floating slightly above ground potential.
Heil has a great recommendation on their web page for fixing RFI in their
mics which also works great on the MC-60 series.  They go into the mic plug,
attach a small bare wire to the ground and bring it back to the case of the
plug which then grounds it to the radio when connected.  If you don't want
to solder, you can run a wire from a screw on the bottom of the mic through
the curly cord and attach it to the ground lug on the rig.  This will also
take care of that problem.

Take care and very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX