From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2008 08:14:38 -0500
The base antennas? yeah, I have a diamond X200 on my house I use daily and
love it. the club I'm president of actually put one on our repeater for 6
months and it even worked incredible, really showed us how bad the old
repeater antenna was. I have a diamond X50A I use for special events with
the clubs, as does almost everyone in 1 of the clubs I"m in and we can't say
enough good about them. I also have another one on the vent pipe on my roof
that works great which I use once in a while for 2 meters but actually, I
use that one for GMRS since the SWR isn't really all that bad on it up
there. I also know a couple repeaters using the diamond X300 that have great
coverage in the area. I know a couple people using the X500 as well, or 510,
what ever the real expensive one is now, but unless you're doing a ton of
simplex and not in the best spot, I don't think you'd notice much difference
over the x300 or 200. I know I tried both here as an experiment and reached
the conclusion that I"m just getting as far out on 2 meters as I'm going to
get with the height and all, actually out of the X50A, but I do some simplex
so I went right in the middle at the time and got the X200 which I have yet
to be sorry for.  I use diamond antennas only on my UHF/VHF for the most
part after trying a few others over the years.