From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:57:38 -0500
Hi Phil and all, Thanks for stirring up the Christmas Ham Memories.  I
remember my Christmas as a novice/first time I was one of them there
fellers,/novice tickets were non renewable, 1 year only, strictly cw except
on six meters and above I think, Anyway, the first time I was kn4BOA, then I
got a Tech ticket, w4ukt, which lapsed in the late sixties, got another
novice, wn4uuu in the early seventys, then a second tech/wb4idu which after
twenty-3 years or so, in 1996 I finally upgraded to General, but I digress.
Anyway, that year, it was either 1958 or 1959, my Dad and a couple of my
elmers, got together on Christmas Eve, and put up an eighty meter antenna,
whether long wire or dipole, I'm not sure to this day, but nonetheless, it
ran a couple of hundred feet, from our house back to near the back border of
our property, was suspended riding on pulleys, with some kind of flat iron
weights hanging at either end to keep the thing balanced, and used a Coax
Lead in, run to a knife switch to switch antenna from transmitter to
receiver, .  When they called me down to test it, rather than the A R B,
four band Air Craft Receiver/150KC-9 or so meg, Unit that'd had its' 24Volt
Dynamotor replaced with a homebrew AC DC Power Supply, or the Hallicrafters
S38A receiver/both of which I'd borrowed from time to time from one of my
elmers, I found what they called an Arc5 Receiver,/a monoband/in this case
3-6Mhz, military receiver, much smaller than either of the others, which had
had its' dynamotor replaced by an AC Power Supply.  These receivers, though
monobanders, really had good selectivity for their time, and as if that
weren't enough, there was a 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10meter, CW
transmitter/either knight or allied radio, I forget which, actually in a
metal cabinet_ with a band switch, and three, count them, three loading
tuning condensers, ! to replace the homebrewed by one of my buddies, two
tube,-either 5u4 and 5881/6l6, or was it a 6x4 and 5881/6L6-Come to think of
it, maybe the thing was a 3tube xmitter, anyhow, it _definitely _Was an only
80meter monoband xmitter that was link coil coupled to the antenna, only had
one tuning condenser, and absolutely _No Cabinet_!

Welll, in those days, I only had two transmit crystals, 3704 and I think
3720KC, but that night, I worked MO from VA, with my fifty watts/only could
xmit up to seventy five as a novice in those days, got a 5-8-9 RST, and
thought I'd arrived---and indeed I had, as my furthest DX up til then had
been NC, PA, NY, and MA, all from one of two places in VA.  I wouldn't trade
that time and those memories for a brand new WhaChaMaCallIt! Merry Christmas
All, Danny.----- Original Message -----